Friday, October 1, 2021

Happy October

 Hello!!  And happy fall!  I've been away from this space for too long.  And where did the time go?  Once our daughter started school in person in mid-August life became really busy.  It's been a crazy start to the school year with certain grades going remote for a while and kids having to quarantine due to being exposed or unwell.  My daughter has missed seven days due to exposure from other kids.  I'm really thinking we should've homeschooled again this year.   I'm looking into it just in case we have to at some point.  I was really hoping children would have a normal start to school this year, but so far, not so much.  So, needless to say, these past six weeks have been super busy and stressful at times.  It's October though and fall has arrived, even though it's still much warmer here than I preferer, the calendar is telling me it is here.

As I was looking back through my photos I realized I didn't have that many here lately.  I need to remember to pull my camera out more often.  We made a visit to the local pumpkin stand last week and enjoyed picking out pumpkins and gourds and this pretty mum, which is brightening up my front porch.  I love this time of year so much.  Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday followed by Christmas.  I love Thanksgiving because it's filled with wonderful food, family and it's fairly low stress compared to all the rushing around and shopping that comes with getting ready for Christmas.  I'm definitely getting excited for the holidays!  What about you?

I picked up a Starbucks black coffee with cream and a pumpkin scone this morning after the school dropoff and it was perfect.  I usually make coffee or a latte at home, but this morning I decided to treat myself.  Anyway, what are your plans for this first weekend of October?  Are you planning to cook or bake something cozy and fall-like?  I'm going to make Ina's apple spice cake this weekend and I'm quite excited about it.  We will likely go for Mexican takeout and at our favorite little spot for lunch tomorrow and maybe make another trip to Trader Joe's for some seasonal items.  I recently read about their seasonal pumpkin brioche bread and how it makes wonderful french toast, so I really want to try it.

Hope you have a lovely, cozy weekend!  Be back soon.  Take care.






8 comments:

  1. Hi Julia lovely to see a post drop into my reader. Now we have hit October I feel I need to think about Christmas as it sneaks up quickly. Your casserole with dumplings looks gorgeous.
    Luckily we don't have the worry over school and only one grandchild is school age but her school so far has not had to send her home. Take care and enjoy the Fall.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just about to start my Christmas shopping, mostly online. I hope to have it finished way before Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. So very happy to see you here!!! I so enjoyed reading your post about your cozy autumn plans. We have not yet been to the pumpkin patch yet, but are planning to go Sunday. I hope it doesn't rain! Your mum is lovely! I would love to grab a pumpkin coffee with you! Your photos are simply lovely! Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo. I would love to grab a pumpkin coffee with you over a nice chat. That would be so fun - hopefully some day!

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to see a post from you, Julia, although I'm sorry to hear things are still stressful with regards to schooling. It must be quite unsettling for you all. At least we have the excitement of the holiday season to look forward to now. It's such a special time of year.
    I haven't had the chance to make any plans so far, but with a very wet and windy weekend here, I might just take this as my opportunity. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules. Things are beginning to calm down at my daughter's school and I'm grateful for that - hoping it stays that way. And yes, I'm so excited for the upcoming holidays!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia, Happy October to you too! Your photos really capture the feel of Autumn, especially with the pumpkins and chrysanthemum on your front doorstep, together with the fallen leaves. Enjoy your holiday preparations. I am now off into the garden to take photos of the Spring flowers :) Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rose, Nothing says October to me more than pumpkins and mums. I absolutely love this time of year!

      Delete