Sunday, September 16, 2018

Catching up

Hello friends!  It's been a while since I've had a chance to update my blog.  Life has been very busy since Charlotte started back to school last month.  We are back into our routine which feels nice.  Third grade has been a big transition from second grade for Charlotte and myself, really.  The children are expected to be much more independent this year.  She seems to be happy and adjusting well.  

I've been cooking/baking quite a bit which has also been very nice.  One of my favorite places to be is cooking away in my kitchen!  I made our favorite  chocolate cake and topped it with buttercream icing.  Twice a month, during the school year, I make this chicken noodle soup and stash it away in the freezer for school lunches and a quick dinner here and there.  I also made these delicious pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  I'll definitely be making them again this fall.  And the granola bars are a weekly staple in our house.  I almost always have these on hand.  They are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. I add chocolate chips, raisins and pumpkin seeds to mine.  I also made dutch oven bread to go along side spaghetti and meatballs last week.  Lately, my lunch several days a week has consisted of leafy greens with olives, pumpkin seeds, Dubliner cheese and a big scoop of quinoa topped with lots of olive oil and it seems to keep me full all afternoon.

Hopefully, fall is beginning to arrive where you are.  We are still waiting on cooler weather, as it has been hot here since May.  Once it fully arrives, it will be much welcomed.  I am not a hot weather person.  Fall and winter suits me just fine!

Hurricane Florence has been making her way through our area over the weekend with just some off and on rain and wind - thank goodness.  I made brownies and cozied up on the sofa last night to watch a new Hallmark movie and it was delightful.  Yes, I'm a Hallmark movie junkie!












8 comments:

  1. Hello!
    We have so much in common!
    My girl is in third grade this year too.
    We homeschool, and I am noticing a big difference from second grade.
    I love all your baked goods!
    And I made chicken soup last week. : )
    I am glad you are safe from the hurricane.
    Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billie Jo! We do have a lot in common both having daughters the same age and in the third grade. This is such a sweet and special age. My daughter and I have so much fun together. Hope you are having a nice, cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photographs of your tasty food are making me feel hungry, especially the soup. It's good to read Charlotte has settled well this year and she looks so smart in her uniform. They grow too fast for my liking. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jules! This soup is such a great fall/winter soup. Yes, Charlotte seems to be settling into third grade well. I agree that they grow too fast!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia! It's so nice to see what you've been up to lately. Your food all looks wonderful and it was great to see Charlotte, she's getting so big! She looks much older all of a sudden. Third grade is definitely a transition year, you will see so many important changes over this school year. I'm sure you will both do just fine with them! Take care and stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennifer! Thanks for the nice compliment on my food. I really do enjoy cooking! I can tell that third grade is definitely going to be a transition year, but I believe we will do just fine. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Your soup looks delicious and also the cupcakes and bars. That homemade bread looks great. My husband makes bread with a machine but I should take over the bread making sometimes. Whau! Your daughter has grown a lot since the last photos. I love Hallmark movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Angela! I eat the granola bars for breakfast almost every morning. Hallmark movies are just the best! My nine year old daughter also loves watching them with me.

    ReplyDelete