Sunday, July 6, 2014

Holiday Weekend












We all had such a nice, long holiday weekend.  We spent the fourth at home just relaxing and pottering around the house all day.  I did a little gardening, made the most delicious strawberry shortcake, picked a little summer posy for my kitchen table, Charlotte splashed around in her pool for a bit, we grilled hotdogs for dinner, and spent the entire evening on the patio enjoying our (unusual) perfect weather.  After Charlotte went to bed, my husband and I had a glass of wine on the patio, listened to some music, and fireworks in the distance, and just enjoyed some alone time together.  It was perfect!

On Saturday, we went to Blowing Rock and celebrated with my family.  We had a BBQ in the evening, and lots of sparklers on the patio.  Charlotte loved it! She also loved the dirt cake pot my sister-in-law made for her.  You take a clean terra-cotta pot and layer it with cake, ice cream, crumbled Oreo cookies, place an artificial flower in the center, and pop it in the freezer for about an hour.  I think this would be a really cute idea for a birthday party!  You could also layer a few gummy worms for fun!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

10 comments:

  1. I love those dirt cakes! I went to a party once where the hostess made a huge one and served it with a new, clean gardening trowel. I thought that was very clever. I'm glad you had such a nice holiday. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog, Jennifer! You always leave the nicest comments. This was our first experience with a dirt cake and we loved out! I love the idea of making a huge one for a party and serving it with a garden trowel! That's a really great idea for a garden party.

      Delete
  2. I think your 4th sounds perfect! Well, for me it's my idea of the perfect day every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! And yes, I completely agree!

      Delete
  3. It looks and sounds magical. I love the photo of the wine by candle light. It's lovely when it's warm enough to sit outside in the evening. We only ever have fireworks when it's cold here (Bonfire Night, in November, or New Years Eve) so I always think it must be so nice to enjoy fireworks outside without being freezing cold! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! I love sitting outside in the evening when it's nice and warm, and not hot and muggy. Fireworks are great to enjoy when it's warm out, but I also think they would be nice when it's cold out with a hot cup of coffee!

      Delete
  4. The strawberry shortcake looks so yummy! Perfect summer pictures. I feel like summer is flying by for me this year. I must find some time to sit and relax - maybe with a glass of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer really is flying by this year! I think I am ready for fall, though. I hope you found some time to sit outside and relax with a glass of wine!

      Delete
  5. I love your candle-lit table and your lovely flowers and family. Great shots of your lovely flowers, garden and home! Nice to meet you!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete